Mozilla

Mozilla Foundation IRS audit now closed

November 3rd, 2012

In 2008 the US Internal Revenue Service opened an audit of the Mozilla Foundation. I’m happy to note that we’ve settled the issues raised and the IRS recently closed the audit. We entered into a settlement, under which the Mozilla Foundation paid the IRS US $1.5 million.

As a result of this settlement, $15 million in funds we had held in reserve pending the resolution of the audit are now available to support the Mozilla Foundation’s mission to support innovation and opportunity on the web.

I believe this to be a very positive result. We will now go back through the various documents and will have more details on this audit to share in the future. I expect to do so before the end of this year.

10 comments for “Mozilla Foundation IRS audit now closed”

1. 1

Paul [sabret00the] said on November 3rd, 2012 at 8:53 am:

Ooh is that the sound of additional resources I hear coming over the hills? Congratulations Mozilla!

2. 2

Tim said on November 3rd, 2012 at 12:14 pm:

Why was there an audit in the first place? Is that obligatory for a foundation in the US? And what are the costs based on? Just curious, maybe you can share some informational links about why this audit took place?

3. 3

Mitchell Baker said on November 4th, 2012 at 11:04 am:

Tim

the IRS chooses which organizations — taxable, tax-exempt, individuals, businesses — it wishes to understand better. We’ll share a bunch of info as soon as I have time to go through the doc again. Please look for this in the next couple of months.

4. 4

Bill Gianopoulos said on November 4th, 2012 at 2:17 pm:

On a completely unrelated topic, could we add something to the mozilla.org page to ask people to donate to Hurricane Sandy Disaster relief with a link to the red cross donation site? just a question.

5. 5

Engel Nyst said on November 7th, 2012 at 6:23 am:

4 years of IRS audit, ouch.

It’s great news that it’s over, and it’s over with this result. Congratulations, and thanks for your patience! Looking forward to next developments from Mozilla Foundation.

6. 6

seo said on February 25th, 2013 at 11:58 am:

Oh congratulation Mozilla, you are great at all.

7. 7

woodworking supplies said on April 7th, 2013 at 2:23 am:

Hey! I realize this is kind of off-topic but I needed to ask.
    Does managing a well-established blog like yours require a lot of work?
    I am brand new to operating a blog however I do write in my
    journal on a daily basis. I’d like to start a blog so I can easily share my personal experience and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any kind of ideas or tips for new aspiring blog owners. Thankyou!

8. 8

Angelo said on April 20th, 2013 at 6:11 pm:

What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered
    It absolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads.
    I hope to give a contribution & assist different customers like its helped me.
    Good job.

9. 9

jasa seo murah said on July 13th, 2013 at 1:13 am:

I believe Mozilla Foundation will be growth significant in a recent years.
    It is because the internet users believe about Firefox’s product that was stable and up to date

10. 10

celana hernia said on August 3rd, 2013 at 7:51 am:

I just curious. Could you share some informational links about why this audit took place?

Skip past the sidebar